vegetable soup with malfattini
zuppetta con la semola
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
MAKES: 6 servings
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 7 large fresh porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 4 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 -inch dice
- 1 small yellow potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
FOR PASTA: In a large bowl, stir together flour, cheese, parsley and basil. Add water and stir together to form a dough; knead in bowl until very stiff, about 2 minutes.
Transfer dough to a cutting board and shape into a rectangular loaf, about
2 x 6 inches. Cut loaf crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Let slices dry at room temperature, about 45 minutes, then cut into 1/8-inch squares. Spread pasta onto a clean, dry baking sheet and set aside.
FOR SOUP: Trim mushrooms; cut stems and caps into 1/4 -inch-thick slices.
Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot, zucchini, potato and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, then stir in mushrooms, tomato and sage. Cook for 3 minutes more, then add water and salt. Bring to a boil, add pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve warm, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with pepper and cheese.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.