steamed sardines with cucumber and radish salad
sardine a vapore su insalata di cetrioli e ravanelli
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
Steaming sardines brings their full flavor to the forefront. A crisp salad of cucumbers and radishes adds a refreshing note and complements the briny nature of the fish.
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into long, thin strips
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Coarse sea salt
- 8 butterflied fresh sardines (about 2 to 3 ounces each), heads removed
Special Equipment: a pasta pot with a deep perforated colander-steamer insert or a metal steamer
In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, radishes, oil and chives; season with pinch salt. Transfer to a large serving dish.
Cut fish in half lengthwise. Sprinkle flesh side with salt, then roll up pieces, skin-side out.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in pot so that bottom of steamer insert sits above water. Arrange fish, about 1/2 inch apart, in insert (steam in batches, if necessary). Steam, covered, over gently simmering water until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Arrange fish on top of salad. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.