shrimp, squid and asparagus in parchment
gamberi, calamari e asparagi nel cartoccio
TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled (shells reserved), deveined and butterflied
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 16 asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- Fine sea salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 3/4 pound squid bodies and tentacles, bodies cleaned and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch ribbons; tentacles cut in half lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chervil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: 4 (12- to 15-inch) squares parchment paper plus more for baking sheet; kitchen string
Heat oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Spread shrimp shells on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer shells to a medium saucepan. Add broth and water. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Strain broth through a fine-mesh sieve; discard shells.
Cook asparagus in a medium saucepan of salted water until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
Brush 1 parchment square with egg white; place on a baking sheet. In center of square, place 4 shrimp, 1/4 of the squid, 1/4 of the asparagus, 1 teaspoon chervil, and generous pinch salt and pepper; drizzle with 1 tablespoon shrimp broth and 1 tablespoon oil. Gather corners of parchment to form a packet, leaving no openings; tie tightly with kitchen string. Prepare 3 more packets in same manner. (You will have shrimp broth left over; reserve for another use. Broth can be frozen for up to 3 months.)
Bake until shrimp and squid are cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.