TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
MAKES: 60 fritters
The quintessential Italian fritter, these are flavored with raisins and chocolate.
- FOR THE CRÈME ANGLAISE:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE FRITTERS:
- 10 ounces white sandwich bread (about 7 slices), crusts removed
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 3/4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Zest of 1 medium orange, about 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- About 3 quarts vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: a deep-fry/candy thermometer and an
- an instant-read thermometer
MAKE THE CRÈME ANGLAISE: In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt until thick and pale, 2 to 3 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat.
In a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly, add about 2 tablespoons hot milk to egg mixture, then whisk in remaining milk. Transfer back to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard is thickened and registers 175° (do not let boil), about 5 minutes.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.