roast lamb with herbs
agnello agli aromi
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 45 minutes
MAKES: 6 servings
A perfect choice for Easter, this lamb gets deep flavor from an herb and spice paste that's slathered on before roasting. Lard, made from rendered pig fat, is deeply flavorful and helps give the meat a tasty crust. You can find lard at some supermarkets and through mail order. (It's also great for making flaky and tender biscuits and pie crusts.) A good source is Dietrich's Meats. You can substitute olive oil for the lard, but the mixture will be looser and you may not get as good a crust.
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 1 bay leaf, torn in pieces
- 2 tablespoons lard or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) bone-in leg of lamb
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 pound small new potatoes, halved
- Special equipment: kitchen string
Heat oven to 475° with rack in middle.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.