red wine risotto with walnuts
risotto con le noci
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
- 3⅓ cups homemade or lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 1½ cups carnaroli or vialone nano rice
- 1¼ cups young red wine
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano, plus more for serving
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped walnut pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat broth in a medium saucepan to a very gentle simmer.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and leek; cook, stirring frequently with a long handled wooden spoon, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Add rice, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add ½ cup wine and cook, stirring frequently, until wine is mostly absorbed.
Add about ½ cup broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until broth is mostly absorbed. Continue adding broth in ½ cupfuls, stirring constantly, and allowing each addition to mostly absorb before adding the next, until rice is tender, yet firm to the bite.
Add remaining ¾ cup wine to risotto; stir to combine and remove from heat. Stir in cheese and season to taste with salt. Serve risotto immediately, sprinkled with walnuts, pepper and extra cheese.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.