red and green cabbage salad
insalata di cavolo rosso e verde
Crisp, crunchy, and hearty, this colorful salad also makes a good side dish for braised dishes and barbecue.
- 10 ounces red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1/2 pound green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
In a large bowl, combine red and green cabbage.
In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, shallot, sugar, peppercorns and bay leaf; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil until reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
Strain vinegar mixture over cabbage; discard solids. Toss cabbage to coat. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature, tossing occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add oil and toss to combine. Season with salt to taste.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.