preserved eggplant with olives, capers and parsley
MAKES: Makes 1 pint
Silken preserved eggplant flavored with capers, olives, and garlic makes a robust appetizer straight from the jar.
- 2 Japanese eggplants (3/4 pound), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar (7 percent acidity)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled
- 10 pitted green olives
- 2 teaspoons salt-packed capers, rinsed, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinsed again
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 fresh arbol or small serrano chile
- About 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Put eggplant pieces in a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Fill a bowl, slightly smaller than colander, with water and place bowl on top of eggplant. Let eggplant stand, covered, at room temperature for 6 hours. (Eggplant will turn brown.) Discard liquid in bowl.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.