potato and leek soup with truffles
crema al tartufo
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 15 minutes
MAKES: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), sliced into ¼-inch rounds (about 3 cups), rinsed well
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups homemade or lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 small baguette, sliced into 12 rounds
- 3½ ounces Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- ½ ounce fresh black truffle, thinly sliced
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes and salt, stir to coat, and cook 1 minute more. Add broth and milk; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and falling apart, about 45 minutes.
Transfer soup to a blender; add cream and purée until smooth. Return to saucepan and gently warm through. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Cover bread rounds with cheese, and toast until golden and bubbly. Divide soup among bowls, top with truffle, and serve immediately with cheese toasts.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.