orecchiette with vegetables
orecchiette alle verdure
TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
Look for spring onions with their green tops still attached at the farmers market, or use scallions.
- 4 large roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Red pepper flakes
- ½ pound spring onions or scallions, whites and greens chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 3½ cups broccoli flowerettes
- 1 cup fresh peas or frozen petite peas
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into ¼-inch pieces
Combine tomatoes and their juices, 3 tablespoons oil, thyme, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes and pinch salt in a large serving bowl.
In a medium saucepan, combine onions and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until onions are very soft, about 5 minutes. Puree in a blender with remaining tablespoon oil and pinch red pepper flakes until smooth.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. About 2 minutes before pasta is done, stir in broccoli, peas and asparagus. Drain pasta and vegetables; add to bowl with tomato mixture. Add spring onion sauce to pasta and toss well. Season with salt and serve at once.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.