orecchiette with broccoli, olives and ricotta salata
olive nelle orecchiette con broccoli e ricotta
TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
Orecchiette (the name means "little ears" in Italian) is the perfect pasta choice for hearty, chunky sauces like this one. The slightly chewy, concave disks hold up to the bold flavors of the broccoli and olives while cradling the ingredients so you get lots of flavor with every bite.
- 4 black Cerignola olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 (14-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 green Cerignola olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 14 Gaeta olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Fine sea salt
- 5 cups 1/2-inch-wide broccoli florets (from 1 1/3 pounds)
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 3/4 cup freshly grated ricotta salata cheese
In a wide heavy saucepan, combine black Cerignola olives, oil, celery, carrot and shallot. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and 1 cup water; bring liquid to a simmer, then add green Cerignola olives and 1/2 of the Gaeta olives. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce is flavorful and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 35 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.