ragù alla napoletana
TOTAL TIME: 3 hours, 45 minutes
MAKES: 6 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 (2-ounce) piece lardo, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole San Marzano tomatoes in juice, passed through a food mill with juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste concentrate (from tube)
- 2 ounces lard
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- Medium coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
Using a paring knife, make slits in beef; stud with pieces of lardo. In a medium saucepan, combine puréed tomato, tomato paste and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Melt lard in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add beef, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water.
Bring water to boil and cook, covered, until water has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and cook, stirring frequently, until wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and onion. Reduce heat to lowest setting and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is flavorful and beef is tender, about 3 hours. Adjust seasoning.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.