lardo-studded roast beef
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
MAKES: 6 servings
A paste made with parsley, garlic, and spices serves two purposes for this roast beef: it adds lots of flavor, to be sure, but because it is combined with high-fat lardo, it also bastes the beef as it roasts for tender, juicy results.
- 3 1/2 ounces lardo or guanciale (see glossary entry at right), roughly chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) eye of round beef roast, excess fat trimmed
- Fine sea salt
- 2 pounds medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Special equipment: parchment paper; kitchen string
Remove roast from oven (leaving vegetables in oven to finish cooking while roast rests) and let rest 15 minutes. Discard string from roast, slice roast into 1/3-inch-thick slices and serve with pan juices and vegetables.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.