grilled porterhouse steak and vegetables with fennel sauce
fiorentina, verdure grigliate e salsa di finocchio
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
MAKES: 3 to 4 servings
Porterhouse if such a great cut because it include the beefy sirloin as well as buttery tenderloin. A great way of presenting the meat to be served is to cut out the bone, slice the sirloin and tenderloin, and then reassemble the steak on the plate in its original form.
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered
- 1 (1/4-inch-thick) slice lemon
- Fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bell peppers, red, orange, yellow, or a mix, cut lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 large head radicchio, cut into 1/3-inch-thick wedges, keeping root ends intact
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges, keeping root ends intact
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise on a diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Fine sea salt
- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) Porterhouse steak (2 inches thick), at room temperature
FOR SAUCE: Cook fennel and lemon in a medium saucepan of salted boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes, then drain; discard lemon. Transfer fennel to the bowl of a food processor; add 5 tablespoons water, oil, chives, mustard and generous pinch salt and pepper. Purée until smooth. Transfer sauce to a serving bowl.
FOR VEGETABLES AND STEAK: Prepare a charcoal grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas). Grill vegetables, turning as needed, until slightly charred and tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a large platter and season with salt.
Grill steak, shifting meat every 30 seconds or so to avoid flare-ups and brown evenly, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn and repeat procedure on second side. Using tongs, prop steak up and grill edges until browned. Grill sides of steak again, until meat is cooked to rare (about 120° on an instant-read thermometer, inserted 1 1/2 inches into steak; meat will be cooler near the bone). Total cooking time will be 25 to 35 minutes.
Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice steak; serve with vegetables and sauce.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.