rabbit with herbs
coniglio alle erbe
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 30 minutes plus chilling
MAKES: 6 servings
A good butcher here will cut rabbit into pieces for you, or make sure to use a very sharp chef’s knife if cutting it at home.
- 1/4 cup almond slivers
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup fine plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 (2 3/4- to 3-pound) rabbits
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- Fresh marjoram leaves for garnish
Heat oven to 275°. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and bake, stirring once or twice, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Cool on rack.
Increase oven temperature to 400°. Mix together basil, parsley, breadcrumbs and thyme. Cut each rabbit into roughly 8 equal pieces. Season with salt, place in a large baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Cover rabbit pieces with herb mixture, pressing so that mixture adheres. Roast until golden and cooked through, about 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine almonds, tomato, cucumber and remaining 3 tablespoons oil; let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Remove rabbit from oven and let cool to room temperature. To serve, season salad with salt and divide among plates. Top with rabbit and sprinkle with marjoram.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.