chickpea gnocchetti with squid
gnocchetti di ceci con calamari
TOTAL TIME: 60 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
Gnocchetti are smaller gnocchi. Though often made with potato, these are made with chickpeas.
- 1 cup drained canned chickpeas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- Fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon salted capers rinsed, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinsed again and roughly chopped
- 1 pound small squid, bodies cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick rings; tentacles halved, if large
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
In a blender, combine chickpeas, eggs and 2 tablespoons tepid water. Purée until smooth; transfer purée to a large bowl. Add flour, then gently knead to form a soft dough.
Divide dough into quarters. On a clean lightly floured work surface, roll 1 dough piece into a 1/2-inch-thick cylinder; repeat with a second dough piece. Line up the 2 cylinders, then, using a dough scraper or a knife, cut cylinders crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Repeat with remaining dough.
Using your thumb, press and roll 1 dough piece at a time off the tines of a fork to create ridges, then transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet. Keep unrolled and rolled pieces covered with a clean kitchen towel as you work.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a wide saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leek and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until leek is tender, about 3 minutes, then remove and discard garlic. Add capers, cook 1 minute, then add squid and cook, 3 minutes more. Add 1/4 cup hot water; gently simmer 15 minutes.
Add an additional 1/4 cup hot water, parsley, basil and 1/2 teaspoon salt; continue to simmer until squid is tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Cook gnocchetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes, then, using a large slotted spoon or fine-mesh sieve, quickly transfer gnocchetti to saucepan with squid. Simmer mixture, gently stirring occasionally, until gnocchetti absorb some of the sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.