bread and watercress dumplings in broth
gnocchi di pane e crescione in brodo
The flavorful dumplings for this broth are easy to make using leftover bread. If you only have very fresh bread, dry it out in a very low oven for a few minutes to mimic bread that's a couple days old.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces 2-day-old french bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 1/2-inch cubes fontina cheese
- Unbleached all-purpose flour or plain bread crumbs
- 6 cups homemade Capon Broth or Meat Broth
In a bowl, whisk together milk and eggs; add bread cubes. Using your hands, knead the liquid into the bread until fully absorbed. Let mixture rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add watercress and cook for 5 minutes; drain, thoroughly squeeze out water and finely chop.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.