beef tagliata with radicchio and gorgonzola
tagliata di manzo con radicchio
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
MAKES: 4 to 6 servings
Steak and gorgonzola is a match made in heaven. The cooked radicchio adds a welcome touch of bitter flavor to round out the richness of the beef and cheese.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled
- 2 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 boneless rib eye steaks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick (1 pound each), at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
FOR RADICCHIO: In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add radicchio, shallot and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until radicchio is wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add cheese and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a bowl; remove and discard garlic. Wipe out skillet.
FOR STEAK: On a cutting board, spread peppercorns in a single layer. Using underside of a small heavy skillet, firmly press peppercorns in a rocking motion to coarsely crush. Rub peppercorns into both sides of steaks, then season with salt.
Using same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter over high heat. Cook 1 steak, turning once, about 7 minutes total for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board. Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining steak. Let steaks rest 10 minutes, then slice. Serve with radicchio.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.