barley and lentil soup
minestra di orzo e lenticchie
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
MAKES: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- ⅔ cup pearled barley
- ⅔ cup small brown lentils, such as castelluccio or colfiorito
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes.
Stir in barley, lentils and wine. Cook until wine has evaporated, then add broth and water. Bring to a gentle simmer, reduce heat to low and cook until soup is thick, and barley and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes; season with salt. Serve hot, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with pepper.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.