baked sardines with spinach
sardine al cartoccio su spinaci
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
Cooking sardines in foil packets with olive oil and lemon lets you collect the flavorful liquid that results. Served over a bed of spinach tossed with mustard and olive oil, and then drizzled with the cooking liquid, this is pure, simple cooking at its best.
- 12 butterflied fresh sardines (about 2 to 3 ounces each), heads discarded
- Coarse or fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh soybean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse-grain mustard
- 4 1/2 ounces baby spinach (4 packed cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 450º. Line a baking pan with foil.
Arrange fish on prepared baking pan, skin-side up; season with salt. Scatter sprouts on top. Drizzle with 4 teaspoons oil and lemon juice. Place a second sheet of foil on top. Tightly seal edges of foil to make a packet. Bake until fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons oil and mustard. Add spinach and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.
Divide spinach among 4 serving plates. Top with fish and sprouts. Drizzle with liquid from fish. Serve warm.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.