mussels on the half shell with tomato sauce
cozze in salsa di pomodoro
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
MAKES: 4 servings
Though this gorgeous appetizer features the classic flavors of tomatoes, garlic, crushed red pepper, and sweet mussels, there is just enough surprise--a splash of cider vinegar and fresh thyme--to make this version a must-try.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, gently smashed and peeled
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 40 mussels (preferably cultivated; about 1½ pounds), scrubbed and beards removed
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Fine sea salt
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with lid, heat oil, garlic and thyme over medium heat until warm and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add mussels and wine. Cook, covered, until mussels just open wide, checking frequently after 3 minutes and transferring open mussels to a bowl using a slotted spoon; reserve the pot with any liquid. (Discard any mussels that remain unopened after 8 minutes.) When cool enough to handle, detach meat and discard 1 half shell from each mussel. Reserve meat and remaining shells.
Other recipes you might like
© 2013 Quadratum USA. All rights reserved.